Monday, September 5, 2022

Backpacking Trip to Elk Lake

We spent Labor Day weekend camping at Elk Lake. We had never been before so it was a new adventure. I have to say it was not the easiest hike especially carrying a pack. It was a steady incline pretty much the whole time, towards the end it got very steep as we climbed the ridge. The overlook was beautiful looking over seeing the lake. Going down the other side to get to the lake was even steeper. I was so glad to have my new pack and my walking sticks, it kept my balance a little more in check. We realized when we got to the lake that there was another way up the road. It's not a road we would have driven up, it sounded pretty rough but who knows if it would have been easier. Oh well, we always like a good challenge. 
We could have not asked for better weather. Everything seemed really dry because we are in desperate need of some good rain but it was still so beautiful there. The lake was cold we did go out in it just to freshen up and get washed off. We ate mostly Mountain House dinners, they are a bit rough on the stomach.  I definitely need to come up with some recipes. Rhett bought a chain saw not to be mistaken with a chainsaw. It's a single chain blade with a handle on each side, you pull it back and fourth between two people and saw through the wood. We had a bit of a contest, hands down Rhett and Bridger were the fastest. I'm so glad fires were still allowed, that is my favorite, to just chill around a fire. Diesel does great until the bugs come out at night. He is very mush a house dog. He hates dealing with any kind of bug. He was very happy when we would finally go to bed and he could go into the tent. We brought three tents, Diesel always get to sleep with Rhett and I, lucky us. 
We did have a great time just being together. After it was all said and done, even the hike was not too bad and I would go back there again. . 
 

































 

No comments: