Saturday, July 25, 2020

Pink Side of the Great Salt Lake

This is by far one of the strangest yet coolest things I have done. Our friends Jed and Erin invited us to go float in the Great Salt Lake on the pink side. It sounded a bit strange but I thought why not. We went to the Spiral Jetty and walked straight out from there. I had never seen that either by the way, the Spiral Jetty, it was pretty cool. The ground leading to the water felt like you were on a different planet. It was crusted with salt and warm water. The water was very shallow at first so you just keep walking until you couldn't touch. The strangest feeling, we started floating before it got too deep to not touch. I have never felt so weightless and buoyant. I am used to wearing life jackets, I was floating much higher out of the water than with a life jacket. You could literally stand in on place without moving to hold yourself up. When you laid on your back you were so high out of the water that it looked like you had something underneath you holding you up. I decided that this is the closest feeling you could have to being in outer space. In all of the pictures we are floating, not touching. Even in the ones that it looks like someone is touching the bottom, we are floating. And pink, the water was so pink and you could not see very deep into it. Nothing lives out there but brine shrimp, so no bugs or gross vegetation making the water creepy. You could feel the salt just crusting up on your shoulders and hair. We all brought a fresh water bottles just in case the salt got in your eyes you could rinse it out.  We floated and talked for a good hour and a half. Walking back out of it felt so weird, the salt crusted up like a shell on your skin. Rhett's swimming suit was so stiff from salt he could have taken it off and stood it up. Rhett brought two blue water drums and Jed brought a pump. The salt rinsed off surprisingly fast. 

After we went to the Promontory Point parking lot and roasted up some burgers and ate dinner. Erin's family Rondi and Marshall came along with some of their friends. It was a great time, worth the two hour drive. 

They also surprised us with the fun news that they are expecting an unexpected baby!!













 

No comments: