Saturday, September 14, 2013

Rooster in the Hen House!

Rooster in the hen house! Not always the best scenario. Puff is very noisy and he likes to get on the girls and pull out their feathers. As far as Stella knows he is not being nice to her girls!
The flip side to this is that Puff is Stella's favorite chicken. He is so tame you would guess she has a stuffed animal rooster. She can hold him and pet him as long as she feels like it. She loves him so much and has been so torn with keeping him and helping her girls.
This is the first grown-up decision she has had to make, I was very proud of her for deciding it was best if we found Puff a new home. We tried listing him on KSL but no takers. We decided to take him to IFA, they have an adopt-a-rooster program. The drive there was hard she was crying the whole way (which made me cry). At IFA it was awkward, there were about 5 workers all watching Stella say  goodbye to Puff. She finally just put him in the cage and walked away. The poor thing cried all of the way home. I cried too, I am going to miss that sweet little bird. 
That night and the next day she just kept crying off and on. It is not very easy watching your little girls heart being torn in half. Finally she opened up about how bad she felt that Puff just watched her leave. Thinking maybe Puff was confused why his mom just left him. I explained that chickens just are not that smart and that it was her emotions getting in the way. I told her that time would help her not be as sad. I really am proud of her, that was such a hard thing for my little animal lover to do. 
Sunday night her cute friend Mesa brought her some brownies and a note to help cheer her up.
Monday I called IFA to see if anyone knew what happened to the white Silky. A lady got on the phone and said that later that day a woman came in and was so excited to get a Silky rooster. She has a farm and other Silkies but no rooster. Telling Stella that and the fact that Puff didn't even have to stay the night really helped.
 Stella still talks about him and misses him a lot, but she knows she made the right choice. I am so proud of her and love her sweet tender side that makes her fall in love with animals. 




No comments: