We left early Thursday morning and drove all day to the Grand Canyon. I love road tripping with Rhett, we talk, sing to music, chill and enjoy the scenery, and stop where we want to stop (we found a few rock shops for the kids that we checked out). To me the travel is definitely a fun part of the trip. He even hooked me up with a Go Girl, it's a rubber device that allows girls to pee standing up. At first I was against the idea but he had me practice once at home (you don't want to have a mishap on the road). Hydration is very important for the hike. I usually hardly drink anything because I don't want to worry about finding a spot to pee while traveling but this time I had to stay hydrated. Well it hit, and of course no rest stops around. Rhett pulled over off the road, I have to say, the Go Girl did it's job! Passer-byers would never guess that a girl standing on the other side of her car was peeing but I was, best invention!
We got to the Grand Canyon around 5:30. We went to the overlook and checked it out before going to the motel. I would be lying if I said it didn't freak me out a bit. Rondi was showing us where we had to hike to. It was so overwhelming to see it in person. There is a reason why they call it the GRAND CANYON. Of course it just got Rhett excited. It's a good thing I have him because he has a way of keeping me somewhat calm. It didn't help to hear that when Rondi asked the ranger about our hike the only advice she kept giving her was not to do it. There were signs posted everywhere warning not to go down and up in one day. Once Rondi explained that we are with a group that has been training and preparing for this for 6 months she finally calmed down and told Rondi about it. She explained that all season long people think they can just go down to the river and back up like it's no big deal. They are constantly rescuing people.
I made some homemade stew that I brought from home that we heated up for dinner. We did not want restaurant food in our stomachs when we hiked. We packed our packs and got them ready to go with our snacks and electrolytes. We had to meet in the parking lot at 5am to catch the bus a 5:30 so I wanted to be fast and ready. We got and early nights sleep for the big day.
No comments:
Post a Comment