Porter was in California so we decided to pull Bridger and Stella from school on Friday to go skiing. It had just snowed a ton this week and Friday was beautiful. We were having the best day skiing the conditions were perfect. We were on the Strawberry side, Stella and I went down the normal way but Rhett and Bridger split from us at the top because they wanted to try the other way down. Well I got to the lodge at the bottom of the hill. Then it was Stella which was weird because we are never the first ones. At first we figured the boys stopped off to pee in the woods because boys can do that. It started to feel like forever. I was starting to get worried. Then we got the call, Rhett said that Bridger had been hurt. He said he couldn't ski down and that the ski patrol was coming for him. He said that Stella and I had to go back up the tram and ski to the truck. Strawberry stinks because the only way out is to go back up the tram to leave out the other side. Well of course I started worrying. That was the longest tram ride I have ever been on. The whole time I was wondering how bad he was, not knowing a thing. Almost at the top of the mountain where we split up I saw the ski patrol working on Bridger from the tram. Let me just say as a mom that is an upsetting site watching your boy being put into the sled not knowing how he is. Luckily we caught up to them just long enough to tell him that I loved him. They were so fast Stella and I could not keep up. The whole way down the mountain I said a prayer, I have never prayed so hard in my heart. There was a moment on the cat track when I was by myself waiting for Stella that I even prayed out loud asking for him to be okay. We finally caught up to them. They already had Bridger loaded into the truck. We headed straight down the mountain to McKay Dee Hospital.
Rhett took these pictures of him while they waited for ski patrol. His face says it all.
It was his hip or leg we were not sure but he could not stand without it killing. We finally got him situated in a bed. Now we just waited.
This part is grose but funny. Bridger had to go, he had been holding it all day. They gave him a container, with some help from Rhett of course they ended up with these pictures. It was pretty funny though. That was a lot of pee. He was not joking, he had to go.
After an ultra sound we found out there was no internal bleeding which was good because his side was really swollen. They did and X-ray and a CT scan. The ER doctor came in and said that the Orthopedic surgeon looked at the films and said he had broken his Acetabulum bone but that he was really lucky and it was still in line with itself. Then he said he was going to put the fear of God into him. He said under no circumstance are you able to put any weight on your leg. If you do you could shift the break and then you would have to have surgery. He hooked him up with some crutches and said nothing for 6 weeks. He also told him to follow up with another appointment with the Orthopedic surgeon later in the week. We left there feeling very discouraged but also grateful that he did not have to have surgery.
So many friends and sweet family members came a visited him on Saturday and Sunday, They spoiled him and brought him treats. His friend Gavin even offered to buy his truck knowing he could not drive if for 6 weeks :)
Here's where it gets interesting. Bridger wanted to make the follow up appointment with Dr Hendry. He is friends with his daughter McCall, so he knew him on a personal level. Our appointment with him was Wednesday. We went in and he said that he had been looking at the films and he doesn't see a break, at least not a recent break. We were so confused. He showed us the pictures and we could see the old breaks in his hip. He had Bridger try to stand putting weight on his leg. He could just fine. There was still a lot of pain in his side. The doctor said that Bridger did have a lot of soft tissue damage and had torn some stuff but not a break. He said he would still use the crutches for a few days to help stabilize the muscles. Bridger said he knew exactly when he had broken his hip before. A few years back he was sliding into home playing baseball and the dirt grabbed him funny. I do remember that but he just said his back hurt but we really never did anything about it. It's always bothered him and I guess now we know why. We felt like the worst parents but Dr. Hendry did say there would have been nothing they could have done back then. I think that was to make us feel better.
The good part is he didn't break his hip and instantly got his life back. The sad part is that he feels really stupid because he told everyone he did, and has been on crutches all week at school. News like that spreads. Even everyone at church knew about it. The following Sunday he got up and bore his testimony and told everyone thank you for everything they did. I also think it was his way of explaining to everyone all at once what happened, instead of over and over as people came up to him. I do feel bad for him, it's an awkward thing. I told him he did exactly what the first doctor said to do. It wasn't his fault, he was just following orders. I am so grateful though that he was watched over and was just fine.
One more funny thing...when Renan and Amy came over to see him this New Era was sitting out. Renan asked if Stella had posed for the picture? We could not stop laughing. It looks just like her!













No comments:
Post a Comment